Questions and Answers about Stephen Ministry
What is Stephen Ministry?
- A system through which regular attendees of Sanctuary are trained and organized to help provide Christian caregiving to those in need within our congregation.
- A team of skilled caregivers who are equipped to extend Christ’s healing love to people who are going through difficult times.
Why Stephen Ministry?
- We have many needs for care in our congregation: people experiencing divorce, grief, terminal illness, loss of a job, relocation, an empty nest, retirement, hospitalization, loneliness, family problems, and many other challenges.
- Often people with needs suffer silently or do not request/receive the level of care they really need.
- Stephen Ministry expands the care Sanctuary can offer by equipping and organizing our body to provide Christian care.
Who Benefits from Stephen Ministry?
- Those receiving care benefit because they receive prayer and support throughout the issue they face.
- Stephen Ministers benefit through the spiritual growth they experience from being involved in meaningful ministry.
- Our pastors benefit because caring ministry at Sanctuary is expanded.
- You benefit from the knowledge that special care is available to you should you need it.
Who Are Stephen Ministers?
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
- A congregation member with gifts for caregiving, who was carefully selected to serve in this role.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care.
- A caring, Christian friend, who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages.
- A trustworthy believer who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for as long as there is a need.
How does Stephen Ministry Work?
- Someone requests a Stephen Minister.
- A Stephen Minister Referrals Coordinator will meet with that person and explain what Stephen Ministry is and help determine the kind of care that is needed.
- The Referrals Coordinator matches that person with a Stephen Minister.
- The Stephen Minister contacts that person and begins meeting with him or her.
- Everything a care receiver says to his or her Stephen Minister is kept confidential.
- The Stephen Minister listens, cares, prays, and helps the care receiver find his or her path to healing and wholeness.
If you have questions, or would like to speak with a Stephen Minister, please email email@example.com.
Do you have an interest in becoming a Stephen Minister? To read more information on the process of Stephen Ministry, or to learn more about what Stephen Ministers do, please click HERE.
To print out a Stephen Minister Application online, please click HERE. You may also pick up a paper application at the Stephen Ministry desk in the main lobby. Applications may be turned in at the Stephen Ministry desk in the main lobby, or left with any of our Stephen Ministers.